I contribute to teaching in the following modules:
- BL1101 Biology I (6 lectures, 2 practicals, QI game)
- BL1102 Biology II (1 lecture)
- BL2108 Vertebrate Zoology (1 lecture)
- BL2109 Applied Molecular Biology (2 lectures, 1 practical)
- BL3320 Practical Statistics for Biologists (workshop session)
- BL4200/1 Biology SH Research Project (supervisor; interested students click here for more information)
- BL4200/1 Biology SH Research Project (Writing from the Reader’s Perspective Workshop)
- PN4299 Neuroscience SH Research Project (supervisor; interested students click here for more information)
- BL4285 Complex Systems in Animal Behaviour (organiser)
- BL4601 Research Project Development and Methodology (distance learning unit)
- SUPA Introductory Biology School (lecture)
Other teaching-related activities:
- Year Coordinator, SH Year Biology
- Pre-Honours Academic Adviser, School of Biology
- Pre-Honours Academic Adviser, Pre-Medicine and Gateway to Medicine Programmes
- St Andrews iGEM Team, Lead Supervisor 2010-2011, Supervisory Team 2012
Download material for the StarLogo TNG practical described in presentations below from my Downloads Page
- Biology students building computer simulations using StarLogo TNG
- Smith VA, Duncan I (2011) Bioscience Education 18: 6.
- 1st Year Practicals: Their Role in Developing Future Bioscientists
- Adams D, Arkle S, Bevan R, Boachie-Ansah G, Bradshaw T, Cameron G, Campbell A-M, Chamberlain M, Gibson A, Gowers D, Hayes M, Heritage J, Hollingsworth M, Hooper H, Hudson K, Hughes I, Lindsey N, Meskin S, Park J, Podesta T, Rattray J, Scott G, Shearer MC, Smalley H, Smith VA, Smith D, Tierney A, Todd M, Verran J, Wakeford C, Wilbraham J, Wilson J (2008) HEA Centre for Bioscience Report.
- The scientific method: teaching the how of science and not just the what
- Shearer MC, Smith VA (2007) Centre for Bioscience Bulletin 21: 8.
(Note authorship correction in Centre for Bioscience Bulletin 22: 2)
- Biology students building computer simulations using StarLogo TNG, a graphical programming environment
- Smith VA. Oral Presentation and Poster. Effective Learning the Biosciences, HEA Centre for Bioscience, University of Edinburgh, 30 June – 1 July 2011.
- Using StarLogo, a graphics-based programming environment, to enable Biology students to build computer simulations
- Smith VA. Swapshop Presentation. Workshop on Mathematical Challenges for Biologists, HEA Centre for Bioscience, University of Reading, 16 November 2010.
- Inquiry-based learning in a first year biology laboratory class
- Smith VA, Shearer MC. Invited Workshop: Developing the next generation of research scientists, HEA Centre for Bioscience, University of Leeds, 7-8 April 2008.
- St Andrews University iGEM Team 2012
- Smith T (Sponsor), Smith VA, Hooley C, Mitchell J, Paracchini S (Advisors) Wellcome Trust iGEM Student Stipend Award, 2012. Funds summer stipends for all nine St Andrews 2012 iGEM Team members.
- HEA Bioscience Effective Learning Conference Travel Award
- Smith VA. SALTIRE Travel Award, 2011. Provided travel funds to attend and present at HEA Conference.
- St Andrews University iGEM Team
- Smith VA (Sponsor), Hooley C, Mitchell J, Shearer MC (Advisors), and Team. Wellcome Trust iGEM Student Stipend Award, 2011. Funds summer stipends for all five elligible St Andrews 2011 iGEM Team members.
- St Andrews iGEM Team Funding
- Smith VA, Hooley C, Mitchell J, Musolesi M, Shearer MC. SULSA Systems Biology iGEM Team Funding, 2011. Provided funding for St Andrews 2011 iGEM Team.
- HEA Bioscience Mathematical Challenges for Biologists Meeting Travel Award
- Smith VA. Academy Scotland Travel Award, 2010. Provided travel funds to attend and present at HEA Workshop.
- A dynamic model of South American angiosperm biogeography during the early Cretaceous period
- Smith VA, Milne R (Supervisors) and Latysheva N. SULSA Systems Biology Undergraduate Summer Studentship, 2010. Provided summer stipend and research funds for undergraduate project collaborative with R Milne at Edinburgh.
- St Andrews iGEM Team Funding
- Smith VA, Mitchell J, Hooley C. SULSA Systems Biology iGEM Team Funding, 2010. Provided further funding for St Andrews 2010 iGEM Team.
- The SAINTS: Saint Andrews iGEM Neutralizes Threatening Staphylococcus
- Smith VA (Sponsor), Hooley C, Mendivil O, Mitchell J, Verleyen W (Advisors), and Team. Wellcome Trust iGEM Student Stipend Award, 2010. Funds summer stipends for all seven elligible St Andrews 2010 iGEM Team members.
- A St Andrews iGEM Team: Enhancing Student Research, Employability and Leadership Through Involvement in an International Synthetic Biology Competition
- Smith VA, Bowles J, Mitchell J, Hooley C. SATIRE FILTA Award, 2009. Provided seed money for St Andrews’ first iGEM Team.
- Enhancing an inquiry-based laboratory practical: student creation of a new teaching strain of yeast
- Smith VA. SALTIRE SELF Award, 2008. Funded a SH Research Project to enhance the laboratory pratical I run in BL1201 Molecular Biology.
- Characterisation of single cell variation in protein expression of stress induced proteins in yeast
- Smith VA (Supervisor) and Müller C. Nuffield Summer Bursary, 2007. Provided summer stipend for undergraduate project in my lab.
- Inquiry-based learning in a first year biology laboratory class: engaging students in the process of science
- Shearer MC, Smith VA. SALTIRE SELF Award, 2007. Funded creation of the laboratory practical I run in BL1201 Molecular Biology (now in BL1101 Biology I).