The research resulted in primary legislation and provided government with the evidence used when implementing the measures set out within legislation. Specifically, this concerned:
- Enabling effective conservation of marine mammals in UK, EU and international waters
- Defining UK and EU policy objectives for marine mammal conservation
- Delivering UK obligations arising from EU legal instruments
- Reducing marine mammal bycatch by over 90% in key fisheries
- This work, together with connected public outreach, was awarded the Queen’s Anniversary Prize in 2011 for excellence in research supporting better governance of the ocean.