M.B. Morrissey, and I.B.J. Goudie. 2016. Analytical results for directional and quadratic selection gradients for log-linear models of fitness functions. biorxiv.org preprint: 10.1101/040618
Published, in press, and accepted
49. M.B. Morrissey, M.J. Janeiro, A.M. Sparks, S. White, G. Pigeon, C. Teplitsky, Denis Réale and Emmanuel Milot. 2017. Into the Wild: WAMBAM goes to Canada. Molecular Ecology, accepted.
48. M. Barbosa, A. Deacon, M.J. Janeiro, I. Ramnarine, M.B. Morrissey and A.E. Magurran. 2018. Individual variation in sexual behaviour is linked to temporal heterogeneity in predation risk. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B, accepted.
47. P. de Villemereuil, M.B. Morrissey, S. Nakagawa and H. Schielzeth. 2018. Fixed effect variance and the estimation of heritability: issues and solutions. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, accepted.
46. C.M. Caruso, R.A. Martin, N. Sletvold, M.B. Morrissey, M.J. Wade, K.E. Augustine, S.M. Carlson, A.D.C. MacColl, A.M. Siepielski and J.G. Kingsolver. 2017. What are the environmental determinants of phenotypic selection? A meta-analysis of experimental studies. The American Naturalist 190: 363-376. link
45. R.A.W. Wilberg, O.E. Gaggiotti, M.B. Morrissey and M.G. Ritchie. 2017. Identifying consistent allele frequency differences in studies of stratified populations. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 8: 1899-1909. link
44. O.D. Franklin and M.B. Morrissey. 2017. Inference of selection gradients using performance measures as fitness proxies. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 8:663-667. link
43. A.M. Siepielski, M.B. Morrissey, M. Buoro, S.M. Carlson, C.M. Caruso, S.M. Clegg, T. Coulson, J. DiBattista, K.M. Gotanda, C.D. Francis, J. Hereford, J.G. Kingsolver, K.E. Augustine, L.E.B. Kruuk, R.A. Martin, B.C. Sheldon, N. Sletvold, E.I. Svensson, M.J. Wade and A.D.C. MacColl. 2017. Response to comment on “Precipitation drives global variation in natural selection”. Science in press.
42. A.M. Siepielski, M.B. Morrissey, M. Buoro, S.M. Carlson, C.M. Caruso, S.M. Clegg, T. Coulson, J. DiBattista, K.M. Gotanda, C.D. Francis, J. Hereford, J.G. Kingsolver, K.E. Augustine, L.E.B. Kruuk, R.A. Martin, B.C. Sheldon, N. Sletvold, E.I. Svensson, M.J. Wade and A.D.C. MacColl. 2017. Precipitation drives global variation in natural selection. Science 355:959-962. link
41. M.J. Janiero, M. Festa-Bianchet, D.W. Coltman, F. Pelletier and M.B. Morrissey. 2017. Towards robust evolutionary inference with integral projection models. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 30: 270-288. pdf
40. M.B. Morrissey. 2016. Meta-analysis of magnitudes, differences, and variation in evolutionary parameters. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 29: 1882-1904. pdf
39. M.B. Morrissey. 2016. Rejoinder: Further considerations for meta-analysis of transformed quantities such as absolute values. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 29: 1922-1931. pdf
38. M.B. Morrissey and M. Liefting. 2016. Variation in reaction norms: statistical considerations and biological interpretation. Evolution 70: 1944-1959. link
37. P. de Villemereuil, H. Schielzeth, S. Nakagawa, and M.B. Morrissey. 2016. General methods for evolutionary quantitative genetic inference from generalised mixed models. Genetics 204: 1281-1306. link
36. J. Poissant, M.B. Morrissey, A.G. Gosler, J. Slate and B.C. Sheldon. 2016. Multivariate selection and inter-sex genetic constraints in a wild bird population. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 29: 2022-2035. link
35. C. Rutz, B.C. Klump, L. Komarczyk, R. Leighton, J. Kramer, S. Wischnewski, S. Sugasawa, M.B. Morrissey, R. James, J.J.H. St Clair, R.A. Switzer and B.M. Masuda. 2016. Discovery of species-wide tool use in the Hawaiian crow. Nature 537: 403-407. link
34. M.B. Morrissey. 2015. Evolutionary quantitative genetics of non-linear developmental systems. Evolution 69: 2050-2066. link
33. M. Leifting, R.H.A. van Grunsven, M.B. Morrissey, M.J.T.N. Timmermans, and J. Ellers. 2015. Interplay of robustness and plasticity of life-history traits drives ecotypic differentiation in thermally distinct habitats. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 28: 1057-1066. link
32. B. Letcher, P. Schueller, R. Bassar, K. Nislow, J. Coombs, K. Sakrejda, M.B. Morrissey, D. Sigourney, A. Whiteley, M. O’Donnell, and T. Devreuil. 2015. Robust estimates of environmental effects on population vital rates: an integrated capture-recapture model of seasonal brook trout growth, survival and movement in a stream network. Journal of Animal Ecology 84: 337-352. link
31. M. Barbosa, I. Lopes, M. J. Janeiro, M.B. Morrissey, C. Venancio, and A.M.V.M. Soares. 2015. Maternal response to environmental unpredictability. Ecology and Evolution 5: 4567–4577. link
30. J. St Clair, Z. Burns, E. Bettaney, M.B. Morrissey, J. Burt, B. Otis, T. Ryder, R. Fleischer, R. James, and C. Rutz. 2015. Experimental resource pulses influence social-network dynamics and the potential for information flow in tool-using crows. Nature Communications 6: 7197. link
29. C. Rutz, M.B. Morrissey, Z.T. Burns, J. Otis, J.J.H. St Clair, and R. James. 2015. Calibrating animal-borne proximity loggers. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 6: 656-667. link
28. M.E. Visser, P. Gienapp, A. Husby, M.B. Morrissey, I de la Hera, F. Pulido, and C. Booth. 2015. Effects of spring temperatures on the strength of selection on timing of reproduction in a long-distance migratory bird. PLOS Biology 13: e1002120. link
27. M.B. Morrissey. 2014. Selection and genetics of causally covarying traits. Evolution 68: 1748-1761. link
26. M.B. Morrissey. 2014. In search of the best methods for multivariate selection analysis. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 5: 1095-1109. link
25. C.A. Walling, M.B. Morrissey, K. Foerster, T.H. Clutton-Brock, J.M. Pemberton, and L.E.B. Kruuk. 2014. A multivariate analysis of genetic constraints to life history evolution in a wild population of red deer. Genetics 198:1735-1749. link
24. M.B. Morrissey, P. de Villemereuil, B. Doligez, and O. Gimenez. 2014. Bayesian approaches to the quantitative genetic analysis of natural populations. in Quantitative Genetics in the Wild, L.E.B. Kruuk, A. Charmantier, and D. Garant, eds. Oxford University Press. link
23. M.B. Morrissey and K. Sakrejda. 2013. Unification of regression-based approaches to the analysis of natural selection. Evolution 67: 2094-2100. link
22. A.M. Siepielski, K.M. Gotanda, M.B. Morrissey, S.E. Diamond, J.D. DiBattista, and S.M. Carlson. 2013. The spatial patterns of directional phenotypic selection. Ecology Letters 16: 1382-1392. link
21. M.B. Morrissey, D.J. Parker, P. Korsten, L.E.B. Kruuk, and J.M. Pemberton, T.H. Clutton-Brock, and A.J. Wilson. 2012. The prediction of adaptive evolution: empirical application of the secondary theorem of selection and comparison to the breeder’s equation. Evolution 66: 2399-2410. link
20. M.B. Morrissey, C.A. Walling, A.J. Wilson, T.H. Clutton-Brock, L.E.B. Kruuk, and J.M. Pemberton. 2012. Genetic analysis of life history variation and constraint in a wild ungulate population. The American Naturalist 197: E97-E114. link
19. M.B. Morrissey and J.D. Hadfield. 2012. Directional selection in temporally replicated studies is remarkably constant. Evolution 66: 1037-1047. link
18. C.D. Todd, K.D. Friedland, J.C. MacLean, B.D. Whyte, I.C. Russell, M.E. Lonergan, and M.B. Morrissey. 2012. Phenological and phenotypic changes in Atlantic salmon populations in response to climate change. ICES Journal of Marine Science 69: 1686-1698. link
17. M.B. Morrissey. 2011. Exploiting natural history variation: looking to fishes for quantitative genetic models of natural populations. Ecology of Freshwater Fishes 20: 328-345.
16. M.B. Morrissey and M.M. Ferguson. 2011. A test for the genetic basis of natural selec- tion: an individual-based longitudinal study in a stream-dwelling fish. Evolution 65: 1037- 1047. link
15. M.B. Morrissey and M.M. Ferguson. 2011. Variation in movement throughout the life cycle of a stream-dwelling salmonid fish. Molecular Ecology 20: 235-248. link
14. K.H. Kapralova, M.B. Morrissey, B.K. Kristjansson, G.A. Olafsdottir, S.S. Snorrason, and M.M. Ferguson. 2011. Evolution of adaptive diversity and genetic connectivity in Arctic charr (Salvelinus alpinus) in Iceland. Heredity 106: 472-487. link
13. A.J. Wilson, M.B. Morrissey, M.J. Adams, T.H. Clutton-Brock, J.M. Pemberton and L.E.B. Kruuk. 2011. Indirect genetic effects and evolutionary constraint: an analysis of social dominance in red deer, Cervus elaphus. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 24: 772-783. link
12. C.T. Blackie, M.B. Morrissey, R.G. Danzmann, and M.M. Ferguson. 2011. Genetic divergence among broodstocks of Arctic charr Salvelinus alpinus in eastern Canada derived from the same founding populations. Aquaculture Research 42: 1440-1452. link
11. M.B. Morrissey, L.E.B. Kruuk, and A.J. Wilson. 2010. The danger of applying the breeder’s equation in observational studies of wild organisms. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 23: 2277-2288. link
10. M.B. Morrissey and A.J. Wilson. 2010. pedantics, an R package for pedigree-based genetic simulation and pedigree manipulation, characterization and viewing. Molecular Ecology Resources 10: 711-719. link
9. D.J. Paez, M.B. Morrissey, L. Bernatchez and J.J. Dodson. 2010. The genetic basis of early-life morphological traits and their relation to alternative male reproductive tactics in Atlantic salmon. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 23: 757-768. link
8. A.J. Wilson, D. Reale, M.N. Clements, M.B. Morrissey, E. Postma, C.A. Walling, L.E.B. Kruuk and D. Nussey. 2010. An ecologist’s guide to the animal model. Journal of Animal Ecology 79: 13-26. link
7. M.B. Morrissey and D.T. DeKerckhove. 2009. The maintenance of genetic variation due to asymmetric gene flow in dendritic metapopulations. The American Naturalist 174: 875-889. link
6. M.B. Morrissey and M.M. Ferguson. 2009. Marker-assisted determination of the relationship between body size and reproductive success and consequences for evaluation of adaptive life histories. Molecular Ecology 18: 4330-4340. link
5. M.B. Morrissey, A.J. Wilson, J.M. Pemberton, and M.M. Ferguson. 2007. A framework for power and sensitivity analyses for quantitative genetic studies of natural populations, and case studies in Soay sheep (Ovis aries). Journal of Evolutionary Biology 20: 2309-2321. link
4. M.B. Morrissey and A.J. Wilson. 2005. The potential costs of accounting for genotypic errors in molecular parentage analyses. Molecular Ecology 14: 4111-4121. link
3. M.B. Morrissey, C.D. Suski, and B.L. Tufts. 2005. Physiological characterization of decompression in smallmouth bass (Micropterus dolomieu) at competitive angling events. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 134: 1038-1047.
2. S.S. Killen, C.D. Suski, M.B. Morrissey, P. Dyment, M. Furimsky and B.L. Tufts. 2003. Physiological responses of walleyes to live-release angling tournaments. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 23: 1238-1246.
1. C.D. Suski, S.S. Killen, M.B. Morrissey, S.G. Lund and B.L. Tufts. 2003. Physiological changes in largemouth bass caused by live-release angling tournaments in southeastern Ontario. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 23: 760-769.