Preparation of Mowiol or Gelvatol Mounting Medium:
This protocol is from the useful text: Using Antibodies: A Laboratory Manual by Ed Harlow and David Lane
Note: It is important to keep stirring the mixture until the Mowiol is dissolved, otherwise the Mowiol will settle out and trap the stirbar.
- Add the following to a 100 ml beaker:
4.8 g Mowiol 4-88 (or Gelvatol)
12 g glycerol
- Mix well using a stirbar.
- Add 12 ml ddH2O and continue stirring for several hours at RT.
- Add 24 ml 0.2 M TrisHCl (pH 8.5). Continue stirring. Heat occasionally to 50°C in a water bath for about 10 min. Continue stirring until Mowiol is dissolved.
- Once dissolved, centrifuge the solution at 5000 xg for 15 min to clarify the solution.
- Carefully remove supernatant; store aliquots at –20°C.