The clustered organisation of many homeobox-containing genes can have functional implications, as with the Hox cluster, but can also reveal the evolutionary history of these important developmental control genes as well as the evolutionary dynamics of animal genomes. Patterns of gene origin, gene loss, linkage and clustering are being revealed by analysis of the genomes of representative taxa from across the animals.
- Ferrier, D.E.K. Evolution of homeobox gene clusters in animals: the Giga-cluster and primary versus secondary clustering. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution (2016) 4:36.
- Ferrier, D.E.K. The origin of the Hox/ParaHox genes, the Ghost Locus Hypothesis and the complexity of the first animal. Briefings in Functional Genomics (2016) 15(5): 333-341.
- Fortunato, S.A.V., Adamski, M., Mendivil Ramos, O., Leininger, S., Liu, J., Ferrier, D.E.K. and Adamska, M. Calcisponges have a ParaHox gene and dynamic expression of dispersed NK homeobox genes. Nature (2014) 514, 620-623.
- Chipman, A.D., Ferrier, D.E.K., et al. The first myriapod genome sequence reveals conservative arthropod gene content and genome organisation in the centipede Strigamia maritima. PLoS Biology (2014) 12(11): e1002005.
- Mendivil Ramos, O., Barker, D. and Ferrier, D.E.K. Ghost loci imply Hox and ParaHox existence in the last common ancestor of animals. Current Biology (2012) 22, 1951-1956.
- Hui, J.H.L., McDougall, C., Monteiro, A.S., Holland, P.W.H., Arendt, D., Balavoine, G. and Ferrier, D.E.K. Extensive chordate and annelid macrosynteny reveals ancestral homeobox gene organization. Molecular Biology and Evolution (2012) 29, 157-165.
- Butts, T., Holland, P.W.H. and Ferrier, D.E.K. The Urbilaterian Super-Hox cluster. Trends in Genetics (2008) 24(6), 259-262.
- Hui, J.H.L., Holland, P.W.H. and Ferrier, D.E.K. Do cnidarians have a ParaHox cluster? Analysis of synteny around a Nematostella homeobox gene cluster.
Evolution and Development (2008) 10, 725-730.