School of Biology new studentInformation for new students at the School of Biology
Biology new entrants – Orientation Week 2017-18
Monday 11th September
- Sign up for a meeting with your Adviser in the Medical & Biological Sciences (MBSB) building, North Haugh.
- Sign-up sheets are on the wall outside the Biology Teaching Laboratory.
- Students can find the name of their Adviser of Studies by accessing advising on the student portal, MySaint.
Tuesday 12th September
- Welcome to First Year: 9 am, Biology Teaching Laboratory, Medical & Biological Sciences Building, North Haugh.
- 1st year advising appointments with Biology Advisers: commences 10 am in Biology Teaching Lab, Medical & Biological Sciences Building, North Haugh.
Wednesday 13th September
- “Meet the Biology staff” for 1st Year students: 3.30 pm in Multipurpose Lab, Medical & Biological Sciences Building, North Haugh.
Books, lab kit & practical class information for BL1101 Biology 1
Teaching Technicians: Penny Hood, Maureen Cunningham, Alasdair Stenhouse
Lead Demonstrator: Dr Grant Brown
Technicians Office: Rm 141, Medical Sciences Building (MSB)
Teaching Office: (Sumit Bain, Andrew Cole) Ground Floor, Biomolecular Sciences (BMS) email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Biology a global Approach (Campbell et al., 11th ed.); Practical Skills in Biology (Jones et al., 6th ed.) Available new at Blackwells Book Store (next to the Student Union, will offer a reduced price for both together). Second hand copies can be found in charity shops (eg. Dr Barnardo’s, Bell Street) and sold by former students – check residence notice boards. Previous 2 editions should suffice, although page references may differ.
Available from the Student Union Shop with or without elasticated cuffs (£29.95). Please note that students taking Chemistry modules must have 100% cotton lab coats, which can also be used for Biology.
This £6 cost can be paid for online at http://onlineshop.st-andrews.ac.uk/product-catalogue/schools/biology
This should be bought (£12.50) online at http://onlineshop.st-andrews.ac.uk/product-catalogue/schools/biology and the receipt shown to a teaching technician who will give you your dissection kit (print or show email receipt on phone). This can be done within the first few weeks.
Lab Sign Up
- Labs are compulsory
- Labs take place in the Multi-purpose Lab (MPL) in the Medical Sciences Building on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon, from 2-5pm.
- You must select a permanent lab day and sign up to it on MMS (http://mms.st-andrews.ac.uk/) under BL1101.
- Sign up opens at 5pm on Wednesday 13th
- When choosing a practical day, make sure it does not clash with your other modules.
- Be aware that Wednesday is the University’s sports day so do not choose a Wednesday for labs if you want to be involved in sports.
Lab Attendance & Etiquette
- Practicals start at 2pm; please be punctual!
- The attendance sheet at the end of the bench must be signed.
- If you arrive late, please enter the lab quietly.
- The 1st practical on Week 1 can be attended on any day whilst you organise your permanent lab day.
- Before attending the 2nd practical, you should know your permanent lab day and your bench letter and seat number.
- No eating, drinking or chewing gum is allowed in the lab.
- Lab coats must be worn at all times unless otherwise indicated.
- Bags, jackets etc. should be tucked under the lab bench. Do not leave anything in the corridor!
- No open-toed shoes or sandals should be worn.
- Long hair must be tied back (elastic bands are provided).
Any problems or queries regarding lab attendance should be directed to Dr Grant Brown (email@example.com)