School of Biology CommitteesInformation about Committees in the School of Biology
- Biology Equality and Diversity Committee
- Biology Ethics Committee
- Biology Health and Safety Committee
- Biology Management Group
- Biology Postgraduate Committee
- Biology Postgraduate Recruitment Committee
- Biology Postgraduate Teaching Committee
- Biology Research Committee
- Biology Staff Council
- Biology Teaching Committee
- Biology Teaching: PG Student Staff Consultative Committee
- Biology Teaching: UG Student Staff Consultative Committee
- Public Engagement and Recruitment Committee
Biology Research Committee
Biology Research Committee Remit:
- To analyse patterns of funding, collaboration, and publications within the School and develop a rolling research strategy.
- To raise the profile of research within the School. Including using all means to promote the research strategy and achievements of the School.
- To oversee and promote efforts to facilitate external recognition and measures of esteem for school members.
- To support the development of our Institutes and Centres and to provide advice on their progress to the Management Group.
- To provide advice and support to staff about how to obtain research funding and oversee the grant application process (e.g. grant checklist).
- To help provide potential funding for members of staff returning from a leave of absence.
- To oversee Research Council grant pre-screening initiatives.
- To oversee and plan the annual School Research Day.
- To recommend priorities to the Management Group for strategic initiatives.
- To advise the Head of School and Director of Research on all matters relating to research.
- To disperse limited funds for specific research opportunities.
- To look after the interests and represent the Schools community of contract researchers and independent research fellows.
To meet as often as necessary to discharge the Terms of Reference and not less than once each semester and to report to the Staff Council at least annually.
Additionally, the Director of Research remit:
- To sit on the School Management Group (MG) and report on research matters.
- To represent the School of Biology at the University Research Forum and report these meetings back to the Head of School and MG.
- To oversee the early career staff mentorship programme.
- To sit on the University Biological Safety Committee.
- To bring matters concerning research and funding opportunities to the attention of the School through the Friday newsletter or direct communication.
click for profile
click to mail
|Prof David Evans||Professorfirstname.lastname@example.org||01334 46 3396|
|Prof Oscar Gaggiotti||MASTS Professoremail@example.com||01334 463513|
|Dr Tracey Gloster||Lecturerfirstname.lastname@example.org||01334 467245|
|Prof Vincent Janik||Professor of Biology
Director of Scottish Oceans Institute
|Prof Anne Magurran||Professoremail@example.com||01334 463506|
|Donna Pierz-Fennell||School Managerfirstname.lastname@example.org||01334 463626|
|Prof Mike Ritchie||Professoremail@example.com||01334 463495|
|Dr V Anne Smith||Senior Lecturerfirstname.lastname@example.org||01334 463368|
edit committee details