School of Biology CommitteesInformation about Committees in the School of Biology
- Biology Equality and Diversity Committee
- Biology Ethics Committee
- Biology Health and Safety Committee
- Biology Management Group
- Biology Postgraduate Committee
- Biology Postgraduate Recruitment Committee
- Biology Postgraduate Teaching Committee
- Biology Research Committee
- Biology Staff Council
- Biology Teaching Committee
- Biology Teaching: PG Student Staff Consultative Committee
- Biology Teaching: UG Student Staff Consultative Committee
- Public Engagement and Recruitment Committee
Biology Postgraduate Committee
Under University regulations and procedures, the School Postgraduate Convenor is responsible to the Head of School for convening the School PostgraduateCommittee. (S)he has personal responsibility in three areas:
- Training for Research Degree Programmes
- Monitoring Progress (including dealing withproblems)
- Dissemination of information
(With reference to the University Administrative Checklist for Convenors of School Postgraduate Committees)
- To implement and administer the Schoolsprocedures for progress review and assessment, including reporting results forall research students annually to the Faculty Postgraduate Office.
- To recommend registration for PhD or MPhil bythe end of the first year for those entering under General Research Ordinance12, and to recommend other changes of registration.
- To implement and administer the Schoolspostgraduate training programme, including ensuring that training needs forindividual students are identified and acted upon.
- To implement the Schools procedures foridentifying and addressing problems with the supervisor/student relationship,and to ensure alternative arrangements for supervision in cases of absence. Tonotify the Registry Academic Support Office of any such problems.
- To implement the Schools procedures foridentifying and addressing the problem of persistent unsatisfactory performanceby a student. To notify the Registry Academic Support Office of any suchproblems.
- To notify the Registry Academic SupportOffice of any requests for extension or leave of absence as soon as the need isknown.
- To maintain a full and complete record ofcorrespondence with students.
- To provide the link between the School andthe Registry Academic Support Office.
- To ensure that all members of staff receiveand follow the guidelines in the Universitys Code of Practice for Supervisorsand Students in Taught and Research Postgraduate Programmes, and to ensure thatall new academic appointees attend the appropriate induction training beforetaking responsibility for any students research programme.
- To ensure that all students receive andfollow the guidelines in the Universitys Code of Practice for Supervisors andStudents in Taught and Research Postgraduate Programmes.
- To seek well-qualified applicants forpostgraduate places offered wholly or partly within the School.
- To consider all applications for postgraduateplaces, to advise applicants, and to recommend acceptance (with appropriateconditions) or rejection to the Postgraduate Admissions Office, includingconfirming with Head of School that appropriate supervisory arrangements can bemade.
- To ensure that studentships in the gift orpartial gift of the School or its staff are allocated fairly and effectively.
- To ensure that Examining Committees arenominated at least 6 weeks in advance of the expected submission of theses.
- To ensure that the examiners and principalsupervisors reports are copied to the Faculty Postgraduate Office at least 3working days prior to aviva voceexamination.
- To encourage PG students to make use of allavailable facilities within the School and University, to participate inseminars, to interact widely with staff (and not just with supervisors), toattend conferences and other appropriate internal and external events.
click for profile
click to mail
|Dr Catherine Adamson||Lecturer in Molecular Medicineemail@example.com||01334 461868|
|Dr Marcus Bischoff||Lecturerfirstname.lastname@example.org||01334 467199|
|Dr Lars Boehme||MASTS Lectureremail@example.com||01334 462677|
|Prof Andrew Brierley||Professor in Biologyfirstname.lastname@example.org||01334 463458|
|Prof Will Cresswell||Professor of Biologyemail@example.com||01334 463010|
|Dr Maria Dornelas||MASTS Lecturerfirstname.lastname@example.org||01334 463324|
|Prof Oscar Gaggiotti||MASTS Professoremail@example.com||01334 463513|
|Dr Andy Gardner||Readerfirstname.lastname@example.org||01334 463385|
|Prof Frank Gunn-Moore||Professor of Molecular Neurobiologyemail@example.com||01334 463525|
|Mrs Joyce Haynes||Postgraduate Research Administratorfirstname.lastname@example.org||01334 463501|
|Dr Neil Hazon||Readeremail@example.com||01334 463451/3452/3447|
|Dr Stuart MacNeill||SULSA Reader in Translational Biologyfirstname.lastname@example.org||01334 467268|
|Dr V Anne Smith||Senior Lectureremail@example.com||01334 463368|
edit committee details