School of Biology CommitteesInformation about Committees in the School of Biology
- Biology Equality and Diversity Committee
- Biology Ethics Committee
- Biology Health and Safety Committee
- Biology Management Group
- Biology Postgraduate Committee
- Biology Postgraduate Recruitment Committee
- Biology Postgraduate Teaching Committee
- Biology Research Committee
- Biology Staff Council
- Biology Teaching Committee
- Biology Teaching: PG Student Staff Consultative Committee
- Biology Teaching: UG Student Staff Consultative Committee
- Public Engagement and Recruitment Committee
Biology Postgraduate Committee
Under University regulations and procedures, the School Postgraduate Convenor is responsible to the Head of School for convening the School PostgraduateCommittee. (S)he has personal responsibility in three areas:
- Training for Research Degree Programmes
- Monitoring Progress (including dealing withproblems)
- Dissemination of information
(With reference to the University Administrative Checklist for Convenors of School Postgraduate Committees)
- To implement and administer the Schools procedures for progress review and assessment, including reporting results for all research students annually to the Faculty Postgraduate Office.
- To recommend registration for PhD or MPhil by the end of the first year for those entering under General Research Ordinance12, and to recommend other changes of registration.
- To implement and administer the Schools postgraduate training programme, including ensuring that training needs for individual students are identified and acted upon.
- To implement the Schools procedures for identifying and addressing problems with the supervisor/student relationship,and to ensure alternative arrangements for supervision in cases of absence. To notify the Registry Academic Support Office of any such problems.
- To implement the Schools procedures for identifying and addressing the problem of persistent unsatisfactory performance by a student. To notify the Registry Academic Support Office of any such problems.
- To notify the Registry Academic SupportOffice of any requests for extension or leave of absence as soon as the need is known.
- To maintain a full and complete record of correspondence with students.
- To provide the link between the School and the Registry Academic Support Office.
- To ensure that all members of staff receive and follow the guidelines in the Universitys Code of Practice for Supervisors and Students in Taught and Research Postgraduate Programmes, and to ensure that all new academic appointees attend the appropriate induction training beforetaking responsibility for any students research programme.
- To ensure that all students receive and follow the guidelines in the Universitys Code of Practice for Supervisors and Students in Taught and Research Postgraduate Programmes.
- To seek well-qualified applicants for postgraduate places offered wholly or partly within the School.
- To consider all applications for postgraduate places, to advise applicants, and to recommend acceptance (with appropriate conditions) or rejection to the Postgraduate Admissions Office, including confirming with Head of School that appropriate supervisory arrangements can be made.
- To ensure that studentships in the gift or partial gift of the School or its staff are allocated fairly and effectively.
- To ensure that Examining Committees arenominated at least 6 weeks in advance of the expected submission of theses.
- To ensure that the examiners and principal supervisors reports are copied to the Faculty Postgraduate Office at least 3 working days prior to aviva voceexamination.
- To encourage PG students to make use of all available facilities within the School and University, to participate in seminars, to interact widely with staff (and not just with supervisors), to attend conferences and other appropriate internal and external events.
click for profile
click to mail
|Dr Marcus Bischoff||Lectureremail@example.com||01334 467199|
|Dr Lars Boehme||MASTS Lecturerfirstname.lastname@example.org||01334 462677|
|Prof Will Cresswell||Professor of Biologyemail@example.com||01334 463010|
|Prof Andy Gardner||Professor of Biologyfirstname.lastname@example.org||01334 463385|
|Dr Tracey Gloster||Lectureremail@example.com||01334 467245|
|Mrs Joyce Haynes||Postgraduate Research Administratorfirstname.lastname@example.org||01334 463501|
|Dr Stuart MacNeill||SULSA Reader in Translational Biologyemail@example.com||01334 467268|
|Dr David Shuker||Senior Lecturer in Behavioural Ecologyfirstname.lastname@example.org||01334 463376|
edit committee details